Why Does My RV Carbon Monoxide Detector Keep Going Off?

Why Does My RV Carbon Monoxide Detector Keep Going Off

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, colorless, odorless, and highly poisonous gas which can be deadly to humans in high concentrations.

However, many first-time and beginner road travelers and RV users don’t fully appreciate or understand the risk that CO can present during a road trip. Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly killer; your responsibility is to protect yourself and your harm.

Fortunately, you can prevent such accidents with a good RV carbon monoxide detector. However, sometimes if the detector goes off, it might be a false alarm, and you shouldn’t worry. But that is not always the case.

Here are some of the reasons why your RV carbon monoxide detector keeps going off and how to deal with the situation:

My RV Carbon Monoxide Detector Keeps Going Off

If your RV carbon monoxide detector keeps going off, it might be due to a few serious reasons, or you might be dealing with a faulty alarm. These detectors are often very sensitive and can be triggered if you spray too much bug spray in the room. 

The carbon monoxide detector can also trigger old, drained RV batteries where the hydrogen was drained off. 

Your carbon monoxide detector could also be falsely triggered if it’s connected to the LPG gas detector, and anytime your pets release some gas, the detector can go off. 

Remember never to ignore your detector when it goes off. Here are some more reasons why your RV carbon monoxide detector keeps going off:

There is Carbon Monoxide in the Room

If CO is present in your RV, the detector should flash the red light, or the red light will be solid red, and you will hear a sequence of 4 beeps. If that happens, assume that carbon monoxide might be present in your RV and do the following:

  • Push the test button on your detector.
  • Ensure that everyone in the RV leaves as soon as possible. When everyone is outside the RV, check that no one has symptoms of CO poisoning, such as vomiting, headache, dizziness, or flu-like symptoms. Call 911 immediately if anyone has these symptoms,
  • Do not re-enter the RV until it’s fully aired and the detector starts working normally again.
  • Once inside the RV, turn off any carbon monoxide devices such as fridges, boilers, gas-powered generators, stoves, and appliances. 
  • Call in a certified RV professional to check your appliances. 

There are several reasons why your RV carbon monoxide detector will beep every fifteen to thirty seconds. Here are some of the reasons:

Malfunctioning Alarm

The light on a malfunctioning alarm alternate between red and green while it beeps every thirty seconds. 

You can do the following to fix the issue:

  • But first, get in touch with customer support for your RV detector.
  • Inspect your battery voltage
  • Change the unit

If you don’t have a drained battery and the battery voltage is normal, it’s advisable to replace the unit as soon as possible. Remember that your safety and that of your loved ones are crucial; therefore, don’t put them at any unnecessary risk. 

You can call customer support and get your money back if you have a valid warranty. 

Dirty Detector

Your RV carbon monoxide detector might keep going off if it’s dirty. Although the detectors are built to be maintenance-free, it’s best to follow these instructions if you want them to work properly:

  • First, vacuum the dust off the detector cover every month.
  • Do weekly testing on your CO alarm.
  • Hand-wash the detector cover with a cotton cloth piece. 

Remember that cleaning agents and waxes can damage your detector sensors. Therefore, be sure not to use them when cleaning your CO detector because doing so can also cause false alarms. 

Carbon Monoxide Detector Battery is Low

The CO detector in your RV will chirp every 30 seconds when its battery is running low. You can observe the number and frequency of chirps to establish if the vibrations are associated with low batteries or end-of-life. You can read the manufacturer’s specifications to decide this.

You should replace batteries running low as soon as possible because you and your loved ones could be at risk even if you don’t have a working CO alarm for a night. 

An Old Detector

The average lifespan of a CO detector is five years; however, some top-quality models can last up to ten years. When the detector reaches the end of its service life, it will indicate an EOL (End of Life) signal.

You can tell if the CO detector in your RV is at the end of its lifespan if it’s continually going off and making and making an infrequent “beep” sound every thirty seconds or so. 

You will waste money changing your carbon monoxide detector’s battery when it’s near its lifespan. 

However, you can reset your detector’s EOL signal before buying a new one. You can press the detector Test/Reset button to reset the signal, and you’ll need to do that every 72 hours. After 30 days, you will buy a new one, but you can’t use the restart button again. 

Frequently Test Your RV Carbon Monoxide Detector

It’s crucial to check your CO alarm to ensure it’s operational consistently. If you have a battery-operated CO detector, you should replace it at least every six months or when it indicates a low battery. 

If you have a hard-wired RV carbon monoxide detector, it’s best to check on it every month to ensure it’s operational. Most RV carbon monoxide detectors will have a one-press “test” button to signal that the unit is operational. 

Understand the Beeps on Your Detector and Act

If your RV carbon monoxide detector keeps going off, it’s best to know why. CO is a silent killer, and it’s your responsibility to keep yourself and your loved ones safe by maintaining a fully functional CO detector inside your RV. 

CO is tasteless, odorless, and extremely fatal; therefore, it’s crucial to keep your detector running at all times. Never ignore the CO detector when it goes off because doing so might endanger your loved ones. Additionally, if you have any questions or think there’s an issue with your appliances, have them inspected by a certified professional.