There are so many water filters available in the market. But the type you need depends on what functions you want a filter to provide; filters don’t eliminate all contaminants. The KitchenAid water filter removes some bacteria, pollutants, and minerals present in your water. The brand uses activated carbon to trap these particulates. If you have one, here is a troubleshooting guide for you.
How Do I Know if My Water Filter is Clogged
If your water is coming out slower than it should and taking more time to fill a glass, your filter may be clogged. Minerals may be the cause as they get deposited and build up in your water filter. Again, if your ice cubes are becoming smaller and the water dispenser begins working slowly, it’s an indicator of a clogged filter.
How to Unclog the Water Filter
For the modular filters like in the refrigerator, you can try the following two ways;
- Flush the filter with plan water from both sides. Later use a metallic tool to tap on the filter to loosen any larger debris.
- You can still soak the filter in warm water with a gentle cleanser like vinegar and mild soap. After, rinse the filter thoroughly until the water comes out clean. Allow the water filter to dry before inserting it inside your refrigerator.
Check this too: Maytag Refrigerator Water Filter How-to & Troubleshooting Guide
How Long Do KitchenAid Water Filters Last?
Your KitchenAid water filter can last up to 6 months with average usage. But in a busy household, you may find the need to replace the filter more frequently. When changing your water filter, ensure you purchase the one recommended by the manufacturer for your model. Again, check for quality filters, as they produce quality water free of contaminants.
Signs that Your Filter Needs Replacement
- water tastes like tap
- ice tastes lousy
- water or ice smells bad
- less water pressure in the dispenser
- water filter shows some signals or changes color
How Do I Reset My Kitchenaid Water Filter?
- Press and hold the filter button for 3 seconds.
- When the system reset, the water filter icon will return to its BLUE color. Then turn off the system.
Kitchenaid Refrigerator Water Dispenser, not Working After Replacing Filter
Several reasons may make your dispenser stop working apart from the water filter.
- Water-tube may be frozen- to confirm this, disconnect the tube at the bottom of the door and blow air through it. If air fails to pass through, it means the line is frozen. Kindly thaw it out for it to pass water. Also, ensure you keep the freezer at a proper temperature from 0-10 degrees F; otherwise, too low a temperature will freeze the line.
- The water inlet valve is defective- the valve may be faulty, or water pressure is too low. If the water inlet valve lacks continuity, you need to replace it. Make sure that the water pressure is at least 20psi for the dispenser to function correctly.
- Faulty dispenser control board- a faulty dispenser will not supply power to the entire system, and you should repair it.
- Damaged dispenser switch – use a multimeter to test the switch for continuity; if it fails, replace it.
- Faulty door switch- you can operate the dispenser without the switch, so have it repaired.
How to Clean a Kitchenaid Refrigerator Water Filter
The refrigerator and freezer require cleaning once a month to prevent the build-up of odors. Wipe the spills immediately on the surfaces. While cleaning the fridge, avoid using abrasive materials or harsh detergents, cleaning waxes, bleaches, flammable fluids, etc. Avoid using products such as scouring pads, paper towels, or other harsh cleaning tools.
- Disconnect the fridge from the power source.
- Hand wash, rinse and dry the removable interior parts. Use a clean, soft sponge or cloth with mild soap and warm water.
- Clean the stainless and painted metal exterior surface with a sponge, mild detergent, and warm water.
How to Remove a Water Filter from a Kitchenaid Refrigerator
For a quarter-turn filter, the cap aligns vertically.
- Pull the water filter up.
- Remove the cap
For a push-button filter,
- Locate the button at the base grill
- Push the button in till the water filter disengages from filter assembly.
- Remove the water filter.
How to Replace Kitchenaid Water Filter Housing
Before carrying out any process, ensure you disconnect the power source and turn off the water supply.
- Press the release button and pull the filter out. The pull off the lower access panel
- Remove the screws securing the support rod, detach the rod from the filter housing.
- Remove screws securing filter housing to the frame. Use pliers to disconnect water lines in the cabinet.
- Pull out the old water housing.
- Transfer the release bottom cap to the new housing and install it.
- Position the new housing to the frame and connect water lines accordingly.
- Align the housing and replace screws for security.
- Hook the support rod to the housing, align them to the frame and secure them with screws.
- Reposition the lower access panel and snap it into place.
- Insert filter into the filter housing.
- Turn the power and water on, and confirm if the refrigerator is working.
How to Replace Kitchenaid Water Filter 3
- Find the water filter cover on the left side of the fridge’s base grille.
- Press the eject button to let out the filter.
- Remove the filter and throw it away.
- Unwrap the new filter to eliminate any wrappings from the O-rings.
- Insert the strainer cork on the new cartridge so the ridges line up. Turn the top clockwise to lock.
- Ensure the arrow spike to the left as you insert the filter.
- Drive the filter in until the release button snaps out.
- When you finish replacing, pour four buckets of water through the tube to properly clean up the installed filter.
Check this too: Alexapure Water Filter Troubleshooting & How to Guide
How to Change Kitchenaid Water Filter 4
- Find your water filter cover in the upper right-hand corner of your fridge interior.
- If the strainer tab in your refrigerator is pointing outer side, drive it in and pull the cover down. For a base tab of the cover, pull forward and down on the small lever to open the lid.
- Spin the filter to the left and pull. Throw away the old filter.
- For the first-time installation, locate the cap inside the filter spot. Twist it counterclockwise and remove it out.
- While placing the new filter in the slot, make sure the grooves line up. Push in the filter and turn it to the right
- until it locks into place.
- Push the filter doorway up so that it snaps closed.
- After replacing, run four gallons of water through the line to properly flush the new filter.
Maytag is a Whirlpool brand usually known for its great washing machines, but their refrigerator line is no exception. They make some of the most sturdy and reliable refrigerators in the market....
Alexapure Water filter is the ultimate solution for all your water filtration needs. It's a groundbreaking water filtration system that performs better than others and costs less. Alexapure Water...