Kangen water machine ionizes regular tap water to alkaline water that many people claim to benefit the body. Alkaline water has been used in Japan for years to promote immunity, hydrate, energizing and helps restore the body’s optimal function.
The machine first filters the water then ionizes it in the electrolysis chamber to make alkaline-filtered water with a pH of 8.5-9.5.
As a bonus, most alkaline machines have a filter to remove contaminants in tap water. Though the Kangen water machine is a certified medical machine, it is also prone to breaking down from poor maintenance or improper use.
We have compiled information about Kangen water to help you set up the device and troubleshoot commonly reported issues.
What does a Kangen water filter out?
Enagic claims that the high-grade filter in their Kangen water machine removes at least 95% chlorine, lead, and bacteria from a maximum of 6000 liters of water.
Unfortunately, since the water machine is mainly an ionizer, it has a limited filtration system that does not remove enough contaminants from the water, for example, heavy metals, fluoride, and salts.
The Kangen water machine still reduces contaminants and removes the odor and bad taste of regular tap water or even your borehole water.
How to clean a Kangen water filter machine
Follow the instructions below on how to clean your Kangen water filter correctly.
- Switch off the water machine and disconnect it from the power source.
- Fill the cleaning cartridge with an entire packet of citric acid powder.
- Remove the filter compartment cover and disconnect the water filter.
- Insert the cleaning cartridge in place of the water filter.
- Place the gray pipe(acidic water) and flexible pipe(Kangen water) in a large bowl of about 1.5 liters.
- Turn on the faucet and turn it off when the large bowel is full, and both hoses are under the water.
- Allow the water machine to rest for three to five hours or overnight.
- With the cleaning cartridge in place, open the faucet again and let the water run through to rinse the machine for about five minutes. Make sure the citric acid rinses off entirely before inserting the filter cartridge.
- Turn off the faucet, carefully remove the cleaning cartridge, rinse it, and store it in a dry place.
- Replace the filter cartridge onto the filter machine, close the compartment cover and turn on the power outlet.
How often do you clean the Kangen water filter machine?
Ideally, we recommend cleaning the Kangen machine every two weeks with citric acid powder. However, cleaning frequency depends on the water quality of your area. For example, places with a very hard water supply may require more frequent cleaning, like once a week, while areas with mildly hard water may need less frequent cleaning, like once a month.
If the machine has not been active for about two to three days, you should run beauty water(acidic water) through the machine to rinse out stagnant water. We also recommend a professional clean of the machine at least every two years.
Check this too: Elkay Water Fountain Troubleshooting and How-to Guide
To ensure you are cleaning the Kangen water filter sufficiently, we recommend doing a weekly check of the water pH. If the pH does not change significantly after three weeks, it means a three-week cleaning routine is enough.
How to change a Kangen water filter
Follow the steps below to change the Kangen water filter.
- Open the filter compartment cover on the left side of the machine.
- Turn the water filter holder knob to the left to unlock it, and then disconnect the filter from the machine.
- Inspect the new filter and make sure it has no dents or breaks. Make sure the two rubber O-rings are at the bottom of the filter. The O-rings secure the connection and prevent leaking.
- Align the holes are the bottom of the filter with those on the machine and insert the filter.
- Insert the holder knob over the filter and turn it to the right until it clicks in place.
- Press the reset button on the top right corner of the filter compartment, and the LCD alert will say ” filter reset,” and the digital display will go back to normal.
- Snap the filter compartment cover in its place and turn on the faucet. Allow the water to run through the machine for about three minutes before using the water.
Signs that its time to replace your Kangen water filter
Changing your water filter periodically ensures you are drinking quality clean water every time. However, since you cannot see the contaminants and impurities with the naked eye, it is best to know other signs that indicate the filter needs changing.
Sometimes, the water supply may be too dirty, and the filter will be clogged before six months or before filtering 6000 liters. Here are the signs that indicate your water filter is clogged or dirty. Using another pre-filter will be a good idea.
LCD alert system
Since you can’t physically see the build-up of impurities in the Kangen filter cartridge, the machine has an LCD voice and display that alerts after 600 liters and needs replacing.
It will also alert for a filter change after 365 days since the last day the water machine was active even if it did not filter 6000 liters. If the LCD system of your machine is not working for some reason, you should get it fixed by a professional or rely on other signs of clogging.
A significant decrease in water pressure
The water pressure from the faucet connected to the Kangen water machine will reduce when the water filter starts clogging. It means the filter pores have decreased in size and number due to excess build-up of dirt and impurities.
When you get a metallic or salty taste from the water, you should change the filter cartridge. Minerals like iron and chemicals like chlorine have a distinct taste. Therefore, you will notice the water starts to taste less fresh, indicating that the impurities in the filter cartridge are too much that they are passing through the filter.
When the filter is clogging with contaminants, the water will develop a foul odor over time. If you let the dirty filter stay in for too long, the dirt in the filter will start to rot, and the smell will also begin to come from the filter chamber.
Cloudy water is usually a sign that the filter is too clogged. As a result, some contaminants pass through and discolor the drinking water or become visible to the naked eye. Some minerals like iron will give the water a brown hue.
How often do you change a Kangen water filter?
It is best to replace the water filter every six months or after filtering 6000 liters of water. Fortunately, the Kangen water machine has a digital display and a sound alarm informing you when the filter cartridge requires changing. However, this is a general guideline for a filter change, but other factors will affect when and how often you change the filter cartridge. These factors include:
- The water quality: The more contaminated or hard the water is, the sooner and more frequently you must change the filter.
- Household size: The more people in our house use the water filter, the more you will change the water filter. Remember, the filter needs changing after every 6000 liters of water.
- Filter maintenance: How well and how often you clean the filter affects the water filter’s efficiency. Cleaning the water filter at least every two weeks prevents dirt from accumulating in the filter.
The Kangen water filter is not working
For the most part, the Kangen water filter is a simple system making troubleshooting is relatively easy. Below are the most probable reasons why the filter is not working and how to troubleshoot them.
Check for power.
The Kangen water filter runs using electric power. First, ensure the power cord plugs into the power outlet; if it is and the filter is not turning on, check the circuit breaker. If the circuit breaker has tripped, turn it back on. If the problem persists, the power outlet could have a short or broken wire. Remove the faulty power socket and replace it.
If there is a power blackout, ensure your backup generator is running or wait until mains power is restored. If you can’t wait, you can use alternative power sources like an adequately sized solar generator.
When the filter cartridge has accumulated too many impurities, there will be little to no water coming out of the faucet. Clean the machine with citric acid powder, replace the filter with a new one and reset the machine.
The Kangen water machine needs regular cleaning because its primary purpose is an ionizer. Ignoring proper maintenance of the machine will prevent it from working. Regular cleaning prevents minerals from accumulating in the pipes and the plates from calcifying. Deep cleaning annually will also reduce the mineral build-up.
What are the side effects of Kangen water?
Although drinking alkaline water has notable benefits to one’s health and is relatively harmless, it may have side effects for some people. Excess alkalinity can interfere with the body’s normal pH and cause a condition known as alkalosis. Alkalosis brings about the following symptoms:
- Tingling in the fingers and toes or face
- Hand tremors
- Muscle twitching
Most people won’t experience these symptoms. However, those who experience side effects are typically mild and fade out after about two weeks after getting into a routine of drinking Kangen water.
People with gastrointestinal issues like colitis or Crohn’s disease and people with kidney disease or taking medication should avoid alkaline water.
There also groups of people who shouldn’t take alkaline water without consulting a doctor first since alkaline minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium will accumulate in the body.
Why is Kangen water so expensive?
The cost of the Kangen water machine is significantly more than its competition water ionizers. It costs almost twice the amount of other water ionizers in the market, and as a buyer, it’s good to know why the price difference is that big. There are a couple of reasons that Enagic Kangen claim to contribute to its high pricing, they include:
- Enagic Kangen uses Multi-Level Marketing to sell their Kangen. This marketing technique means when you buy the Kangen water machine, you’re paying a sales commission to 8 multi-level marketers. This Multi-Level Marketing is also responsible for the costly water filter replacement. Enagic, the company that owns the Kangen brand, has admitted that half of the cost of the water machine goes to paying commissions, hence the high price.
- Kangen water machines also have eight titanium plates dipped in platinum which do not corrode and leak into the water system. The titanium plates make the ionizer more durable, and with a good cleaning, it will last up to 20 years.
- Enagic claims that scientific researchers have spent a fortune on the research, development, and production of Kangen water machines.
Is Kangen water really good for you?
Kangen water is alkaline water, and the research on the benefits of alkaline water has no solid scientific basis. The FDA even denied a petition in 2007 suggesting alkaline water reduces the risk of osteoporosis after several studies on the relationship between alkaline water and reduction in bone loss.
In response, FDA stated that the proposed health claims do not meet the criteria for being scientifically significant due to a lack of long-term evidence.
Despite the lack of scientific evidence, there are proposed benefits some researchers and advocates of alkaline believe. These health benefits include:
- Anti-aging properties
- Colon-cleansing properties
- Immune system support by boosting the body’s mineral content
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Hydration, skin health, and other detoxifying properties
- Weight loss
- Cancer resistance
Some studies also claim that Alkaline water of pH 8.8 may benefit people with certain conditions like acid reflux, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. However, there needs to be extensive research to answer other claims that dispel or support the benefits of alkaline water.
The human body naturally regulates its pH and with the help of alkaline foods from fresh fruits and vegetables.
In conclusion, though alkaline water seems harmless, you should take more caution as its benefits are not well documented. Excess alkalinity will also cause more harm to your health. Researchers and health professionals also claim natural alkaline water is much better than artificial alkaline water.
Check this too: Sawyer Mini Water Filter How to & Troubleshooting Guide
How do I service & maintain my Kangen water machine?
It is important to do maintenance and to service your Kangen water machine to ensure optimum efficiency. Here are the ways to maintain the water machine.
- Replace the water filter every six months or after 6000 liters of water.
- Regularly clean the water machine twice a month in hard water areas with citric acid powder.
- Contact professionals to do a deep clean every 1-2 years. Deep cleaning will remove any dirt and contaminants than regular cleaning with citric acid does not remove.
- After 1-3 days of not using the Kangen water machine, let all the beauty water(acidic water) run through the machine for about 2-3 minutes.
- Clean the water machine with the citric acid after running strong acidic water and strong Kangen water(alkaline water).
How do I reset my Kangen water machine?
Resetting the Kangen water filter is a straightforward procedure; follow the steps below:
- Locate the reset button inside the filter chamber on the top right corner.
- Press the reset button for about 3-5 seconds until it beeps. The LCD will start the count down and then turn off.
- Resetting the filter will restart the timer.
How long does a Kangen machine last?
With proper maintenance and servicing, the Kangen water machine has 12 to 15 years of life expectancy. Other factors like water quality and frequency of use will affect the water machine’s life span.
Though there isn’t definitive proof that alkaline-filtered water has health benefits, it still reduces impurity content, has great taste, and has reduced acidity. Remember that cleaning the Kangen water machine every two weeks is essential to maintain your drinking water quality and the machine’s performance.
The RV life is all about being on the road, tied to no single physical location. While you can call any camp or RV park you spend a night home, many states and regions still want to link you to a...
A stinky toilet is unbearable in the tight confines of an RV. Your toilet's lingering sewage-like smell is probably seeping up from the black water tank. This isn’t normal. Well-maintained RV...