Beans and legumes in general are a great addition to your table if you are seeking to set up a sustainable off grid homestead. They are an amazing source of proteins, vitamins, dietary fiber and other minerals you need to stay healthy.
If you’re vegan, they are going to be a centrepiece for your protein needs. Trying them out even if you’re not a full-time vegan is a great way to supplement the animal protein input from the livestock you keep on your farm.
Beans can be made into stews or salads. In this recipe, we’re going to look at how to make a delicious bean salad that is packed with proteins and a good share of calories. It could serve as a great breakfast or lunch before heading out for work in your garden or around the homestead.
- 15 oz boiled beans of your choice (boil your own from scratch or buy them canned)
- 15 oz sweet corn (boil your own from scratch or buy them canned)
- ½ cup of feta cheese
- A medium sized cucumber that is finely diced
- ½ cup of fresh parsley
- 1 spring onion
- 1 juiced lime or lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse and drain the corn and beans separately using clean water
- Clean and dice up your cucumber into cubes
- Clean and chop up the parsley into fine bits
- Clean and chop up your spring onions
- Take a big bowl and throw in everything you just prepared above
- Take the feta cheese and crumble it over the bowl’s ingredients before giving it a stir
- Take a smaller bowl and mix up the lime, olive oil, mustard, cumin, honey, salt and paper to create the salad dressing
- Once the salad dressing is well mixed, give it a taste to ensure the salt and paper is good for your liking
- Divide the salad into two equal portions and mix each portion with a bit of the salad
- Your high protein bean salad is ready!